Wednesday 30 March 2016

PSALM 55 FROM THE KING JAMES BIBLE (1611) EDITED FOR USE AS A CURSING CHARM

Listen to my prayer, O my Gods, do not ignore my plea; hear me and answer me. My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught, because of what my enemy is saying, because of the threats of the wicked; for they bring down suffering upon us and assail us in their anger. My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death have fallen on me. Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me.


I said, “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest. I would flee far away and stay in the desert. I would hurry to my place of shelter, far from the tempest and the storm.” Lord, confuse the wicked, confound their words, for I see violence and strife in our city. Day and night they prowl about the walls; malice and abuse are within. Destructive forces are at work in our city; threats and lies never leave our streets.


If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were rising against me, I could hide. Yet it was a man like myself, who harmed my companion, with whom I enjoy sweet fellowship at the house of God, as we walk among the worshipers. Let death take our enemies by surprise; let them go down alive to the realm of the dead, for evil finds lodging among them. As for me, I call to our Gods and the Lord shall save us. Evening, morning and noon, we cry out in distress and they hear my voice. We are rescued unharmed from the battle waged against us, even though many may oppose us.


Our Gods, enthroned from of old, who do not change; they will hear us and humble them, because they have no fear of God. My companion was attacked and he violated her covenant. His talk was as smooth as butter, yet war is ever in his heart; his words are more soothing than oil, yet soon they turn to stone. Cast your cares and they will sustain you; they will never let the righteous be shaken. Our Gods will bring down the wicked into the pit of decay; the bloodthirsty and deceitful will not live out half their days but as for me, I trust in you.


No comments:

Post a Comment